Saturday 5 November 2011

MACBETH - Soliloquy: Act 1, Scene 5 - pg.61

‘They met me in the day of success; and I have learned by the perfect’st report, they have more in them than mortal knowledge. When I burned in desire to question them further, they made themselves air, into which they vanished. Whiles I stood rapt in the wonder of it, came missives from the King, who all-hailed me “Thane of Cawdor”, by which title, before these weird sisters saluted me, and referred me to the coming on of time with “Hail King that shalt be!” This have I thought good to deliver thee, my dearest partner of greatness, that though mightst not lose the dues of rejoicing by being ignorant of what greatness is promised thee. Lay it to thy heart, and farewell.’

Glamis thou art, and Cawdor, and shalt be

What thou art promised; yet do I fear thy nature,

It is too full o’ th’ mink of human kindness

To catch the nearest way. Thou wouldst be great,

Art not without ambition, but without

The illness should attend it. What thou wouldst highly,

That wouldst thou holily; wouldst not play false,

And yet wouldst wrongly win. Thou’dst have, great Glamis,

That which cries ‘Thus thou must do, if thou have it’;

And that which rather thou dost fear to do

Than wishest should be undone. Hie thee hither,

That I may pour my spirits in thine ear,

And chastise with the valour of my tongue

All that impedes thee from the golden round,

Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem

To have thee crowned withal.
------------------------------------------------------
''We met up on day we won the battle, and I have

learned by the most perfect fact that they have more in them than

human knowledge. When I wanted so badly to ask them

more questions, they made themselves disappear into thin air.

While I stood and wondered what had happened letters came from

the king, who called me, 'Worthy Lord of Cawdor',

these weird sisters had just approached me, and called me the

future king! I thought it was a good idea

to pass the news on to you, my hope in

this world, is that you keep your happiness by

being aware of what all the great things that are to come. Lay it to your

heart, and good-bye."



You are the Worth Lord of Glamis and of Cawdor and you deserve to be

What the weird sisters have told you. I'm just afraid that your big heart;

Is too kind to complete the task.

There is a shortcut to get the power. You could be great;

You have ambition, but you do not have

The drive that usually comes with having ambition.

While you want to be king, you also want to act like a leader;

You would play the game fair, but you’d cheat to win. Lord of Glamis,

you are not brave enough, "This is what you have to do to be king.

And if you are afraid to do what you must,

Then your wish will not come true." Hurry and get here,

So I can tell you all my ideas and opinions

And with the courage behind my words, scold you for

All that keeps you from becoming king, and get you the powers

That the three weird sisters seem

To want you to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment