Sunday 6 November 2011

MACBETH: Soliloquy- Act 3, Scene 1 - pg.107

To be thus is nothing,

But to be safely thus. Our fears in Banquo

Stick deep, and in his royalty of nature

Reigns that which would be feared. ‘Tis much he dares,

And to that dauntless temper of his mind,

He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour

To act in safety. There is none but he

Whose being I do fear; and under him

My Genius is rebuked, as it is said

Mark Antony’s was by Caesar. He chid the sisters,

When first they put the name of king upon me,

And bade them speak to him. Then, prophet-like,

They hailed him father to a line of kings.

Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown,

And put a barren scepter in my gripe,

Thence to be wrenched with an unlineal hand,

Non son of mine succeeding. If’t be so,

For Banquo’s issue have I filed my mind,

For them the gravious Duncan have I murdered,

Put rancours int eh vessel of my peace

Only for them, and mine eternal jewel

Given to the common enemy of man,

To make them kings, the seed of Banquo kings.

Rather than so, come fate, into the list,

And champion me to th’ utterance. Who’s there?
----------------------------------------------------
To have this power by murdering the king means nothing,

Only to be king by being fair matters. Being scared of Banquo

and all the other things we should be afraid of

in the natural world where he is royalty. He is able to do a lot,

And, in that victory of madness controlling his mind,

He has the knowledge that brings him all the courage

To make all the right moves. He is the only one

Who I fear. I am lower than him

Therefor my natural skills are admired such as,

Mark Antony's was by Caesar. Banquo abused the three weird sisters

When they told me I was going to be king,

Banquo asked them to tell him everything;

They told him I would be the leader.

Then they placed a crown on my head that meant nothing,

And put a dull wand in my hands,

Which will be violently taken from me,

Since I have nobody on my side. If the prediction is true,

I have given up my soul for Banquo's family;

I have killed the great king for them,

Put dark and evil thoughts into my mind

All for them, and I have given my soul

To everyone's enemy, just

So Banquo's sons become kings!

Instead of that happening, bring the final results here,

And battle with me until I die! Who's there?

No comments:

Post a Comment